All inputs and outputs can be used at the same time*!. E.g., the instrument input can be used either instead of the line input on the back, or together with it.
Even the TRS jack and the XLR socket of the microphone inputs can be used simultaneously.
This way, up to 35 signal sources
can be connected to the Fireface 800 and recorded onto 28 separate tracks.
Thanks to the DSP-based TotalMix mixer, known from the Hammerfall DSP series, all inputs and outputs can be freely mixed, distributed and routed. Up to 14 completely independent stereo submixes are possible.
Each of the mixer´s output channels, that is every single submix channel, can be recorded directly, without the need of external cable loops.
And there´s more: TotalMix can be MIDI remote controlled with any Mackie Control
All settings including TotalMix are recalled during boot via flash memory.
After making all desired settings, the device works stand-alone even without computer as a submixer, A/D and D/A-converter, headphone mixer, format converter, instrument or microphone pre-amplifier, monitoring mixer and much more.
The Fireface 800 is equipped with SteadyClock(TM), RME´s unique sync and clock technology.
With this, the device becomes a sync reference for the whole studio.
SteadyClock refreshes clock signals, removes jitter, and takes permanent care of optimal conversion quality, thus guarantees a sensational sound quality, completely independent from the reference clock´s quality.
SteadyClock allows the Fireface 800 to control the sample rate freely on its own.
The Settings dialog includes a direct choice of the video and audio world´s most often used sample rates.
Additionally, two faders can be used to set the sample rate freely and in real-time, within the range of +/- 4% and +/- 0.4%.
Via an insert slot on the back, a Time Code Option (TCO) for synchronizing to LTC and video can be added. Thanks to SteadyClock, the Fireface 800 does not only extract absolute positions, but also a very clean low-jitter word clock.
The Fireface 800 has a second port for hub functionality, bi-lingual mode for full FireWire 400 compatibility, and an additional FireWire 400 port. Several Fireface 800 can be used in parallel and at the same time on one FireWire port.
RME´s FireWire audio offers many pro-audio features not available from other manufacturer´s units:
- Complete realtime sample rate lock
- Complete realtime sample rate control, even during playback/record
- Complete start/stop control. No changed offset after reboot.
- Extreme varispeed / external sync support, in all modes (even DS / QS)
- Despite having a superior sync behavior (see above), the Fireface´s SteadyClock provides a heavy jitter suppression even in varipitch applications.
- Reduced protocol overhead, by not sending CIP (Common Isochronous Packet format) headers (AVC, mLan)
- Working FireWire 800 solution
- Working FireWire 800 fix for Windows XP SP2
- Latency change on the fly, while ASIO is running
- Latency change on the fly, while GSIF is running
- Hardware-based data packet check and drop out correction
- Complete realtime monitoring solution, covering all inputs and all playback channels, equaling an 28+28 channels inline console having 28 Aux sends per channel. Lots of advanced and unique features. Plus hardware based Peak/RMS metering.
- Windows and Mac OS X drivers are completely identical in terms of features and functionality
- Super low jitter MIDI I/O similar to PCI-based performance (1 ms)